The Bass Rock, or simply the Bass, is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. Approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) offshore, and 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north-east of North Berwick, it is a steep-sided volcanic rock, 107 metres (351 ft) at its highest point, and is home to a large colony of more than 150,000 gannets and is the world’s largest colony of Northern gannets. The rock is currently uninhabited, but historically has been settled by an early Christian hermit, and later was the site of an important castle, which after the Commonwealth period was used as a prison. The Bass Rock Lighthouse was constructed on the rock in 1902.
Aerial Views of the Cloud Inversion that covered North Berwick, East Lothian, and most of Scotland 18 December 2021.